Before a report can be handled by Front Desk personnel, it must fall within one of the following classifications:
- Identity Theft *
- Annoying Phone Calls
- Custody Order or Restraining Order Violations *
- Criminal Threats
- Assault or Battery (Exception: Domestic Violence) *
- Forgery or Fraud (These reports may require an appointment.)
- Defrauding an Innkeeper
- Petty or Grand Theft
- Vehicle Vandalism (Vehicle must be present at the time of the report.)*
- Stolen or Found Bicycles
- Lost Property (Exception: Cell phones)
- Stolen Vehicles *
- Missing Persons
If your report falls into one of the above classifications, it must then meet all of the following criteria before it can be handled by the Front Desk:
- The crime is not in progress.
- There is no immediate threat to life or property
- There is no possibility of immediate apprehension of the suspect(s).
- There is no physical evidence
*Report types marked with an asterisk will not be taken over the phone. You must come to the Front Desk in person to make these reports.
If your report meets the requirements above, you may contact the Front Desk to make a report. More…
Some exceptions may apply. The determination on how a report will be handled is made on a case-by-case basis.
For any other type of report not listed above, you will need to meet with a Police Officer. Please call our Dispatch Non-Emergency line for more information: 949-644-3717.
Lost or Stolen Cell Phones
Note that it is not the policy of the Newport Beach Police Department to take reports for Lost or Stolen Cell Phones. If your cell phone has been lost or stolen, you may call the Front Desk (949-644-3681) to obtain an Officer’s name and badge number. This information may be used in lieu of a Police Report with your cell phone company.