Conducting Massage Therapy in the City of Newport Beach:
In 2015, the City of Newport Beach updated and adopted ordinance 5.50 which regulates the practice of massage therapy, primarily massage establishments within City limits, consistent with AB 1147 and Business and Professions Code 4600. Notable requirements of the ordinance are as follows:
· All individuals practicing massage for compensation within the City must be a Certified Massage Therapist holding a current and valid certificate issued by the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC). Please visit https://www.camtc.org/.
· All massage establishments within the City must obtain an Operator Permit from the Chief of Police. Operator Permits are valid for three years and are non-transferrable. Operator Permits will not be issued until the establishment has first secured the necessary business license and land use permit from the City of Newport Beach (may be applied for concurrently).
· All massage establishments must abide by applicable health and safety requirements and submit to inspections by the Police Department.
How to obtain an Operator Permit:
Operator Permits will be accepted by appointment only. Please contact Investigator Wendy Joe at 949-644-3705 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book your appointment.
Please bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
· A completed application. You may download the application here or receive a copy from our Front Desk.
· A copy of driver license or other government issued identification of the owner(s) of the massage establishment.
· A copy of the CAMTC certificate for each owner if applicable.
· A copy of the CAMTC certificate for each person who will be providing massage services at the massage establishment.
· A copy of the current business license.
· Payment of $502. Cash, check made payable to the City of Newport Beach, Visa, or MC.
Non-CAMTC certified Operator Permit applicants are required to be fingerprinted and submit to a background check. An additional fingerprint fee of $31 will be required with your application. Fingerprints will be processed at the Newport Beach Police Department at the time of application submission.
Please contact Investigator Wendy Joe at 949-644-3705 or email@example.com at any time with questions regarding the above laws and procedures.