How secure is your home? If youíre locked out of your home, can you still get in? Possibly through an unlocked window in the back, or by using an extra key hidden under a flowerpot on the front porch. If you can break into your home, so can a burglar! A small investment of time and money can make your home more secure. The Newport Beach Police Department offers free home security inspections to any resident of Newport Beach. A representative of the police department will review your current means of security and offer suggestions on how to improve the security of your home. They will also review the exterior of your home and discuss possible improvements to your lighting and landscaping that could reduce your chances of becoming a victim of this costly crime.
After you have installed all the proper locks on your doors and windows, donít forget to use them! Did you know in almost fifty percent of all residential burglaries, thieves enter through an unlocked door or window? This means that you can significantly reduce your chances of becoming a victim by simply locking your doors and windows. While this wonít prevent all burglaries from occurring, it certainly will deter the opportunistic burglar from making your home his next target.
- Always lock your windows and doors when you go out, even if for only a few minutes.
- All windows should have two locks.
- Place a wooden metal stick in all sliding door and window tracks or place a security pin (a large nail will also work) through the frame.
- Keep the landscaping around your home trimmed down around doorways, windows and light fixtures.
- Never leave a purse, wallet or other valuables in plain sight.
- Keep your porch lights on dusk to dawn.
- Give the same importance to garage doors as you would your front door. Make sure they are of a solid core construction and have a deadbolt lock.
- All sliding glass doors and windows should be equipped with anti-lift protection.
- Anti-lift protection can prevent your door or window from being lifted out of its track. A suspect can easily lift a window out of the track even if the window is locked. Install a security pin that slides through both frames securing the window in place or insert a minimum of two screws into the upper track or through the window frame.
- Use several timers to turn on interior lights throughout your home. These timers should be used when you are both on vacation and at home.
- To keep your valuables safe consider using a safety deposit box at your local bank.
- Never leave a house key available under a doormat, in a flowerpot, or on the ledge of a door. These are the first places a burglar will look!
- Install a peephole in your front door. NEVER open the door to someone you don't know!
- Engrave your valuables with you California driver license number. This makes your property more difficult to pawn and helps law enforcement to identify your property, if it is recovered.
- If you will be away for several days, have a trusted friend or neighbor pickup your paper and mail.
- Join Neighborhood Watch! The best crime prevention device ever invented is a good neighbor.
To make an appointment for a Home Security Inspection, call our Crime Prevention Specialist at (949) 644-3699.
( View PDF )