Youíve made all the arrangements to insure a fantastic adventure awaits you. But what about the home you are leaving behind? An empty home can be an appealing target for an opportunistic burglar. Vacation is a time for fun and relaxation. Donít let yours be ruined by crime. Follow these simple crime prevention tips below.
- Make your house appear "lived in." Use timers for lights and radios.
- Have a neighbor or friend pick up mail, packages and newspapers.
- Continue your gardening services or have a neighbor maintain your lawn in your absence.
- Have good locks on all doors and windows, AND USE THEM!
- NEVER leave your house key hidden outside under a doormat, in a flowerpot, or on the ledge of a door.
If you have an answering machine, do not leave any information about your trip on the outgoing recording. Simply state that you are not available at the moment and will call back later.
Call the Newport Beach Police Department at 644-3681 and request a Vacation Check for your home. A police department volunteer (VIP ~ Volunteer in Policing) will check the exterior of your home at various times during your absence.
Remember that proper planning reduces your chance of becoming the victim of a crime. Call the Newport Beach Police Department Crime Prevention Unit at 644-3699 for further information regarding home security.
In the event you are leaving to go on vacation, Newport Beach Police Department will provide a residential check during your absence. Our Volunteers assist by visiting your home while you are away and performing a perimeter check of all doors and windows as time permits. To request this service, call 949-644-3717. You will be asked the following questions:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- The dates you are leaving and returning
- The names of anyone having a key to your property
- Whether or not you expect a cleaning service or gardeners while you are away
- Are your lights on timers
- Do you have an alarm
Vacation Checks cannot exceed 30 days and cannot be performed for a business, apartment, vacant home, a home listed for sale, or if someone is staying overnight at the residence during the specified dates. After your return, you will receive a follow up phone call to let you know the status of our checks. If you return home earlier than expected, be sure to call the station and let us know.